Welcome to JAAN's science class!!

Big hi to all of you! I'm an undergraduate following a Bsc in bioscience. Trust me I know the feeling of surfing around the net for ages and getting nothing in return! Or getting something worthless for the time we spent surfing. So I started this blog adding the science stuff I have noted which I think might help someone in their home work. Ok then enjoy!

21 April 2011

Test for phenols:- Phenol, 2-napthol, Catechol, Resorcinol

Azo-dye formation

Procedure
Observation
2drops of aniline were dissolved in 1ml of con.HCl and 3ml of water were shaken in a test tube. It was kept in ice. Also 20% sodium nitrite solution and phenol dissolved in NaOH were kept in ice.
Few drops of sodium nitrite were added to the cold aniline. Maintaining the temperature around 0-4°C this prepared diazonium solution was added to the cold phenol.

Phenol: intense orange colour dye
2-napthol: red colour dye
Catechol: dark brownish dye
Resorcinol: red colour dye






No comments:

Post a Comment